Firm Logo

Request An Attorney Consultation: 

Firm Logo

Your options in enforcing Texas child support


Your options in enforcing Texas child support

On Behalf of | Mar 20, 2019 | Firm News |

If you are a custodial parent, it is likely that you are financially dependent on child support payments to some extent. The payments that you receive from the other parent will help you to pay for your child’s food, shelter, child care and extra-curricular activities. If you have not been receiving child support payments recently, you may be feeling angry or distressed about this issue.

The state of Texas takes child support enforcement very seriously, because it recognizes the impact that missed payments can have on families. There are many options for parents who are suffering financially due to delinquent payments.

What should I do when my child support payments are overdue?

When you first realize that you have not been paid what you are owed in child support, you may want to communicate with the other parent to attempt to understand the situation. If this is not possible or not appropriate, you can take action by filing a Child Support Complaint Form.

How can delinquent payments be enforced?

There are several ways that the Texas courts attempt to enforce delinquent child support payments. The action that is taken will be decided by a judge on a case-by-case basis.

Child support tends to be most commonly enforced through the process of wage garnishment, which means that the amount owed will be deducted from the parent’s wages before they get paid. It is also possible for federal income tax to be intercepted in order to gain the funds owed.

Key licenses can also be suspended as a punishment for delinquent child support payments. It can be possible for a drivers’ license to be suspended when more than three months of child support is owed, and when the parent is not complying with the repayment schedule that was put in place.

Can I enforce child support if the parent leaves Texas?

The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) makes it possible for child support to be enforced across states.

If you are struggling because of delinquent child support payments, you should make sure that the Texas courts are helping you to enforce the support owed. By taking swift action, you may be successful in claiming back the money needed to serve the best interests of your children.