Firm Logo

Request An Attorney Consultation: 

Firm Logo

What do you do about child support when you can’t pay your bills?


What do you do about child support when you can’t pay your bills?

| Feb 1, 2021 | family law |

You’ve never minded paying your child support, and you’ve always been on time. Lately, however, the economic climate hasn’t been kind to your business.

When the first of the month rolls around, you can’t afford to pay both your child support and your regular bills. What do you do now?

  1. Contact your co-parent

Your child’s custodial parent is, most likely, relying on that payment to make their own monthly  bills. With that in mind, call you co-parent and explain the situation before you do anything else.

See if you can work out a temporary agreement between you that will forestall any action on their part to enforce the support order through the courts.

This is important because your co-parent can initiate an enforcement order through the Office of the Attorney General. If the court gets involved because you haven’t made any effort to pay, you could be facing a host of new problems, including:

  • A suspended driver’s license
  • The loss of your professional licenses
  • Suspended hunting and fishing licenses
  • A passport denial
  • Liens on your bank accounts, property and income
  • Damage to your credit report
  • Civil or criminal contempt charges

If contempt charges are pursued, you could face jail time — even if you pay up. With that in mind, you should pay as much as you can toward the support order.

  1. Contact your attorney

In Texas, child support is generally awarded based on a formula that takes into account each parent’s income and resources, the number of children requiring support and a few other factors.

You can request a modification of support when you’ve had a material and substantial change in your situation since the order was established. You’re also entitled to ask for a modification every three years or whenever the support you should be paying differs from what you are paying by either $100 or 20% of the total.

When you have children, a divorce is never really over until the children are grown. Our office will work with you through the years to resolve all the custody or support issues that arrive. Please continue reviewing our website to learn more.